Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sunday is family day in Natal.

This has been a very busy week! We have spent a lot of time getting settled in and oriented. And we each met with a few readers. The days just fly by! But today is different. Cris the LST Intern that has been here for a year calls Sunday "family day". It seems that most people here spend the day at home or elsewhere with family. They have a big lunch, maybe do some shopping. It still sounds noisy and busy outside, but you can just feel the difference in the pace of live today. In keeping with the culture around us, Greg and I have spent the day hanging out in our apartment and just enjoying a little rest. We had what Greg called a "sweep the kitchen" lunch. I just put together the ingredients we had on hand and made up something for us to eat.

This church has their Sunday worship service at night. Bible class at 5 PM followed by a traditional service (both in Portuguese). It is very tiring to listen to portuguese so much, but we are trying very hard to pick up some words and learn to get by a little. I won't be surprised if one of the english speaking church members doesn't sit by us and interpret for us and we sing along with the songs, even though we are butchering them. It is a beautiful language, so, sometimes I just listen to them speaking as if I am listening music.
Last year when I was here, a big group from the church would go to the mall after services and eat at the food court, so, if that is still the same, I'm sure we will be joining them.
It is amazing to think of all the people all over the world, worshiping and praising God today. We are together in spirit!

3 comments:

  1. I was thinking of you guys in worship this morning and remembering you in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you commented on how exhausting it was to hear Portuguese spoken all day, it reminded me of how my Spanish-speaking students feel. Workshops I've been to say that the students get tired hearing a foreign language spoken for extended periods of time and we should provide a listening center with books and music in their language so their brains can rest and relax. Do you need an English time-out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that would be nice! I need to have a little english corner!

    ReplyDelete