Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Typical Day

Not that there really is such a thing as a typical day when you have totally turned your life upside down by quitting your job, selling your house, and moving to another country in order to tell people about Jesus.
But, I will share the basics.
The sun comes up at about 5 AM, but I don't. I try to get up between 7 and 8. The first thing I do is sit out on the balcony and read my Bible (I've been reading Judges, and I can't say I'm sorry that I have finished that book. It's rough!) This is also a good time to expose these white legs to a little of the equatorial sun. Next I usually eat breakfast. Right now my favorite breakfast is honey yogurt with some granola mixed in and a banana (yum, yum). Then I straighten up the apartment if it needs it, if I need to do a load of laundry, I usually like to start it first thing in the morning so that I can get it hung on the line before I go downstairs. After the housework, I take a shower and get ready for the day. Then it is time to go to work, so, I walk downstairs and wait for readers. This is a good time to practice portuguese or do a little paperwork (especially if my reader doesn't show up). At about noon I either cook some lunch for us or we go to the closest shopping center to eat. After cleaning up from lunch, I usually take a little rest (When in South America, do as the South Americans do. Actually, I'm not sure if that is common here, but for me, a little rest is essential to get me through the long days.) Then it is time to freshen up and go back downstairs for afternoon reading sessions. I have afternoon reading times available from 2-7(except on Wednesdays, because of church services). Doing more than 3 reading sessions in a row is very difficult for me, so, as we are settling my schedule, most days I will try to space the readers out a little. At 8 PM we are usually done for the day and most work days we have a light dinner and I usually try to be in bed by 11 PM where I fall asleep reading. In amongst these other things I try to find time to do the shopping, keep up with paperwork, spend time getting the know the people here, do some cooking, study portuguese, study my bible, communicate with people back home, and write new posts for this blog. It seems that so many of the routine things that need to be done take much longer to do here than they did at home. I guess that is part of adjusting to a different culture. But, I don't mind, it is all part of the adventure and I enjoy learning new or different ways to do things. So, our days are full and so blessed! I love each day and look forward to getting up every morning and discover what God has in store for me!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! Now I can picture your life there! It's so good to hear the enthusiasm in your blogs...even for the things that are difficult. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, what's the time difference between Brazil and Arkansas? I was very interested in a typical day for you - you know how I like the mundane details! What I want to know, for trivia' sake, is what is in your refrigerator on a typical day? (besides honey yogurt). Love ya'

    ReplyDelete