Sunday, October 12, 2008

Readers and Friends

One of the great blessing of my time here in Natal is the opportunity to reconnect with people that I read with last year. I developed some special friendships with so many of them, and now, to get to work with them again and see how their english has improved and how God has been working in their lives, I am amazed and humbled to be a witness.
I want to tell you a little about a few of them. I am not giving their names to protect their privacy, but if you pray for them, God will know who they are!

DOWN AND OUT
When I met her last year, she was in the depths of depression, she was discouraged about her life and situation, she was embarrassed about her english and because of these issues, she had a nervous habit that make her sniff and twitch all the time. She considered herself religious, but she never really read the Bible. We gave her a New Testament and she started reading it regularly in addition to her LST lessons. When I left, she said that her daughter was also reading the bible with her and I could already see that the power of God's Word was helping her to look at her life in a more positive way. She came to see me the first week I was back and she scheduled some time with me. I was amazed! She is almost like a different woman! The nervous habits are gone completely and I saw no trace of the depression. She looks ten years younger! She is no longer focused on what she can't do because of her circumstances, instead she is making the most of her opportunities. This is the power of the Word of God in the lives of those who seek Him!
SHALLOW AND ENAMORED BY THE WORLD
When I left last year, his english was pretty limited and most of our discussions were somewhat superficial and shallow. He has continued to meet with LST workers as often as possible, and the difference in his english is amazing. This year we have been able to have meaningful discussions about the things we are reading about. He started reading the Luke workbook with me in May of 2007 and last Thursday, we finished reading the workbook together. It was very special to both of us that we got to start and finish this study together. But that is not the end, he will continue with LST until we run out of material to read with him!
DEEP THINKERS
I have two students that are really good friends and classmates. They are both studying philosophy. Okay, stop laughing at the image of me having discussions with philosophers. God is good and powerful and He can work in any situation. I'm sure they think I am silly and simple as we discuss philosophy and religion, but they come back twice a week anyway. I tell you, I am really challenged as I listen to people whose perspective is completely different than mine, but I have more opportunities to share what I believe with them than with anyone else. I do more praying in my hours with them than any other time in my day. Friday night they took Greg and I out to one of their favorite places to listen to music. It was a great opportunity to illustrate the life of a christian in their own setting instead of just here in our church building. Greg and I both agreed that we don't understand why they want to spend time with us. They are young and cool and well.......... I am hoping it is that they see Jesus in us and like what they see.

There are others that are equally special and I may be able to share about them later. This is just a glimpse of the people that we came here for. I am so thankful to God that He has given me the opportunity to be involved in the life of my readers! I love helping them with their english and hearing the progress they are making, but the real reward is seeing the progress that God is making in their hearts!

2 comments:

  1. The story that touched me the most was the woman who learned to focus on what God can do in her life rather than focusing on what she couldn't do. Even though, I don't know her, I am so proud of the strength she has found. Please tell her that a woman in Arkansas thinks she's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful glimpse into the work God is doing there. It brings tears to my eyes. I am so greatful that he is allowing you to see His work and continues to encourage you with His power.

    ReplyDelete