Thursday, March 8, 2007

Training

I know a lot of people are curious about LST training sessions, so I thought I would take this time to give you a little info on that. So far the training has been very rewarding and so helpful to prepare me for the trip. They are also good to keep me focused on the work we are going to do and to help me stay positive and excited about going.
A typical session includes a devotional time, prayer, research about our site, preparation for the work, learning about team members and often a chance to eat together. The team members are really getting to know each other better and that is important since we will be together almost constantly for 6 weeks. My favorite part about the training is getting to see the others using the talents that God gave them and seeing how strong they are in Christ! My least favorite part of training is the role playing sessions when one of us pretends we are a reader and the other practices reading with them. But I know that this is important and I will be glad when I am on site that I had the opportunity to practice.
LST really knows their stuff! They've been doing this for more than 20 years and they know what we will be encountering. I feel very blessed to benefit from their years of knowledge and experience.

3 comments:

  1. I remember those scary role play training sessions when Chris would turn into Wang, the strong-willed searcher with tons of hard, heavy questions. But you're right. It sure does help that you've had that training when you're sitting across the table from a real reader. Have you been able to come up with some good, open ended questions for your readers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming up with good open ended questions is definately one of my weak points but I am learning from my teammates and I am getting better (and I've pilfered a lot of theirs).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh!!! I'm so excited for you!!!!! I can't wait to read all about your adventures and how God is going to use you to touch countless lives. (I must admit, I'm a bit jealous as well...) Have so much fun and do great work! Love you, Mrs. Cyndi :)

    ReplyDelete