Thursday, March 15, 2007

Brazil Facts

Here are some interesting facts that I have learned about Brazil through internet research. It will be interesting to see what holds true after I actually go there.
These are just a few facts that I find interesting:
-language is Portuguese (Brazilian, not European) (I'm struggling to learn just a few basic word to get me by)
-Largest Catholic population in the world (about 80% of the people)
-It is a melting pot, similar to the US. Large groups of people from many other countries have made it their home. (Portugal, Japan, Germany, Italy, and Africa because of slavery) (I read that after you have been in Brazil for several years you are considered Brazilian, very unlike the Southern US)
-A common greeting between females and male/female is an "air" kiss on the cheeks. That will be a challenge!
-It's capital is Sao Paulo and it is the 3rd largest city in the world.
-Natal is in the Northeastern part of the country and as you go north the culture gets more conservative. So, no nude people on the beach, the insist you wear at least a little bikini. Interesting that it is okay to be practically naked on the beach but women in the N.E. don't wear shorts otherwise. That's okay with me, I don't either.

I could share a lot more but will stop for now. Maybe more in another post!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cyndi we are praying for you guys. Don't know where you are now, but hope you are enjoying it and that God is putting ppl in your way for you to be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These facts are really interesting for me as I'm going to Brazil soon. I think Brazil is the best place to travel. Brazil is more than beaches and Carnival, but that would be enough reason to travel there. Brazil is the largest country in South America. The nation's natural beauty is reflected in its variety of geographic locations, from Sugar Loaf Mountain in the city of Rio de Janeiro, to the magnificent Iguazu Falls in the south, to the Amazon basin in the North, there's something for almost every taste... snow skiers excepted.

    ReplyDelete