Monday, November 10, 2008

What is the foundation for your life?

Recently I have done one lesson with several readers that has caused me great frustration.
The lesson is taken from Luke 6:46-49
"Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and don't do what I say? The people who come to me, who listen to my teachings and obey them, I will show you what they are like: They are like a man building a house. He digs deep and builds his house on rock. The floods come, and the water crashes against the house. But the floods cannot move the house, because it was built well. But the people who hear my words and do not obey are like a man who builds a house without preparing a foundation. When the floods come, the house falls down easily and is completely destroyed."


This is one of the shortest readings and on the surface, the concept is very simple: If you obey Jesus teachings, your life will be built on a strong foundation and you will be prepared to withstand the troubles that come. Almost every reader answers the questions correctly and seems to get the concept right away. When I ask if their life is built on a strong foundation, they say yes. Next I ask them to tell me about that foundation and I get all kinds of answers, anything from family, experiences, ancient prophets, etc.. One even said his mother is religious and that makes his life strong. This is where the frustration begins. They have just said that a strong foundation is built on obeying Jesus teachings and in the next breath they are telling me about their strong foundation built on something totally different. Sometimes I just want to get out my bible and whack them over the head with it (it's paperback, it won't hurt too much). Okay, not really, but I do have to find a gentle way to try to help them see the discrepancy. Often I have to leave the session without any real assurance that they realized the difference in what Jesus said and what they are saying. It is not my job to get my readers to conform to what I think is right or best for them, it is my job to encourage them to learn about Jesus and to illustrate to them what a life built on the foundation of obedience to him looks like. And as my father-in-law so wisely reminded me of tonight, their is power in the Word of God and that power can lead them to Jesus. I might be able to convince them to conform, but Jesus will transform them.

2 comments:

  1. I was reading last night and found this verse. It reminded me of the things you expressed in your blog, so I thought I'd pass it on.
    1 Cor. 1:18-19
    The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written "I will destroy the wisdome of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that verse! It is good for me to be reminded of that!

    ReplyDelete